House Insulation

House Insulation Terms

House Insulation Term Vapor Barrier is a material that will prevent moisture from
penetrating and collecting in a particular area.
House Insulation Term R-value is the resistance to heat flow. As the insulation's R value
increases, the better the material resists the transfer of heat. Some common R values are
R11, R19 and R30
House Insulation Term Batts are precut fiberglass or rock wool insulation. These batts can
either be faced or unfaced. Faced batts have paper or foil on one side of the batt. Normally
faced batts are used in the exterior walls and in the interior walls.
House Insulation Term Cellulose insulation is a form of blown in insulation. This insulation
is normally blown in loose. Another process adds a liquid adhesive and is blown in wet. The
insulation has to be allowed to dry before covering with drywall.
House Insulation Terms
House Insulation Term Batt Thickness varies with the R value of the insulation. The higher
the R value the greater the thickness. An insulation batt with a R value of 11 will measure 3
1/2 inches and fit in a 2x4 wall cavity. A value of R19 will fit in a 2x6 wall cavity.
House Insulation Term  Baffles are used to allow air to flow from the eave of the house into
the attic and out the roof vents. The baffles are attached the bottom of the roof decking
between the rafters.
House Insulation Term Blown Insulation is a process in which loose insulation is blown into
the attic instead of using batts to produce a insulation blanket. Blown insulation is normally a
cellulose, fiberglass, or rock wool material.
House Insulation
House Insulation
Faced Insulation
Un-Faced Insulation
Sill Seal
Category Construction Glossary
House Insulation
Insulation Baffle